Two adults killed in head-on crash on SR-201 | News
MAGNA, Utah – Two people are dead and a third is in serious condition after a crash on State Route 201 mile post 2, west of Magna near 11175 West Friday morning.
The crash happened a little after 10 a.m. when a vehicle had a flat tire, causing it to cross into oncoming traffic.
“An eastbound vehicle on state road 201 at about 11175 West. This vehicle crossed over into the westbound lane and had a head-on collision with another passenger car,” said Cpl. Todd Johnson, Utah Highway Patrol.
UHP says that when the first vehicle, a Mitsubishi Galant, swerved into the opposing lanes, a Chevy Silverado swerved to avoid making contact with the Galant, but the two made slight contact and their vehicle suffered minor damage.
The driver of a Ford Festiva traveling behind the Silverado slammed on his breaks and went into the shoulder after the first two vehicles crashed. The Galant the collided with the Festiva head-on.
Both occupants of the Festiva, identified as Jared Hamby, 30, from Salt Lake City, and Nannette Baird, 32, from Murray, sustained fatal injuries as a result of the crash. Baird was not wearing a seat belt.
The driver of the Galant, identified as Rachel Barney Funk, 34, from Salt Lake City, sustained serious injuries.
The driver of the Silverado had no injuries.
Upcoming Events near West Valley City / Kearns / Taylorsville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Mill Creek Elem. soft lockdown lifted, suspect in custody
- Group makes final filing of initiative for an incorporated Millcreek
- Holladay passes non-discrimination ordinance protecting LGBT community
- Woman faces DUI, other charges; police say 2 young children were in the vehicle
- Police: Burglary suspect caught in the act
- Police arrest man who allegedly stole from several cars
- Salt Lake City airport brings in furry friends to help soothe flying fears
- Shannan Yates leads the top Freeriders in the world this week at Snowbird
- 2 families displaced after 2-alarm fire in Salt Lake City
- Armed man robs Salt Lake City bank, police release suspect’s photo